Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Minecraft - Kakariko Village

After completing the entire castle from The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, I decided to continue on with another Hyrulian build. I had always planned on building a small village for NPCs to live in (once that update comes) and that easily transitioned into creating Kakariko Village from A Link to the Past as well. And that is what I'm working on next.

Work in progress to level out the ground. From
this perspective, the castle is in the lower right.
The hardest part of this build was actually getting the location. My world doesn't have a lot of flat, or close to flat, land mass. It's actually mostly water, tundra or hills. Since I wanted to try and fit it in as close to the proper place as I could in relation to my castle that cut down my possible locations even further. I wound up choosing a location that had a few small hills and shallow water in it. This location is also right next to the edge of my world.

My guide to the village with grid lines. The red lines
are every 10 blocks creating a 10x10 grid.

My wife and I worked together to first tear down the small hills and use those materials to fill in the water area leaving dirt on top for grass to grow onto. I had once again created a grid overlay of the in-game image that would make it roughly the same scale as the castle, but even with that, I ran out of shallow water and was soon needing to keep expanding and head out over deeper ocean. Just like with my house, my rendition of Kakariko will be floating over water.

With the ground leveled out, my next task was to actually begin laying out the structure. I started by creating a 10x10 grid using sand and torches to mark the village out. Once I had my grid, I was able to begin cutting out the paths through town. All the white stone paths are made of Cobblestone, the red paths out of Netherrack and the gray paths out of Gravel. The dirt paths will be omitted since there is no way to prevent the grass from spreading onto it.
Early progress of the village with just the paths in place. You can
barely see the castle wall in the upper right.
With the paths laid out, I next moved onto the shrubberies throughout the village. Using the same techniques I did with the bushes in the castle, I put a wood block underground and the leaf blocks touching it to create the bushes. I also put torches underground, usually attached to the wood blocks, to conceal the lighting for the village. At night, the whole village is well lit even with just the under-bush torches.

Making strides towards getting the village in shape.
With the bushes laid out, I went ahead and removed all the inner sand blocks. From here on out, I would use the size of each section as my guide to lay out the actual buildings. I next started planting some of the trees around the outside of the village that form the barrier of the town. For the few trees on the inside, I hand crafted them so they would all be identical. They have a 4x4 trunk and uniform leaves. I also placed some more of the decorative items such as fence posts and the red stump / mushroom thingies.
More detail going in. Trees, fences and stumps are done.
As of right now, I only have a few of the actual buildings created. I'll post more as my progress continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment