Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Minecraft - I Gave In

I finally gave in. Last night, I acquired a copy of Minecraft on the PC. It was actually a gift from a friend who owed me a birthday present, but I still have it now. I didn't really create anything in my initial time with the game. I didn't even make a shelter or mine anything out. Instead, I spent my time in Creative mode flying around the world exploring, and quickly realizing my computer sucks.

The machine is about 8 years old, and the video card isn't very good anymore (64MB AGP NVidia card). I bought more memory and a newer video card for it, but the power supply wasn't beefy enough to run the newer video card. Worst part is, it's a proprietary power supply, so there is no upgrading it without modifying the case. Annoying...

Don't get me wrong, the game is still very much playable. I just have to turn down the render distance, turn off clouds and set the particle effects to "reduced". Then it plays fairly well. I also can't play it maximized.

Like I said, I didn't really do much. I spawned in a jungle biome and my jaw dropped. It was amazing to finally see one in person. The trees in the jungle were probably taller than the Xbox 360 Edition's world height! I explored around some more and found a ravine. Massive and beautiful. A little more exploring and I stumbled upon an abandoned mine. I was giddy by this point and can't wait to start actually playing.

There is one more thing I had to do in my first world. I dug a hole from the surface to bedrock, then filled that hole with TNT, ignited it and watched. Creative mode is so much fun! :) If I have time tonight, I'll probably delete this world and create a new one to actually start playing in. I'm thinking I'd really rather not have to start again from square one, so I may start in creative mode and build a small shelter and supplies. Then I'll switch to survival and start really playing.

I'm worried that having creative mode at my fingertips might actually ruin it for me. I love to create structures and places like in my Xbox world, but it was really fun because everything was legit. Every resource was mined by hand and I take pride in that. (Yes, I took advantage of a duplication "feature" to get a ton of diamond, but everything else is legit). I don't know if I'll be able to take that same pride knowing I just did it with creative mode. We'll see as time passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment