Friday, September 7, 2012

Minecraft - Hyrule Castle Photo Tour

Last night, I took some time and got a ton of photos of my castle. If I had the PC Adapter to record video on my computer, I would do a video walk-through since even the photos don't do it justice. Unfortunately, I don't have one at the moment, so these will have to suffice. Even in still photos, it is impressive if I do say so myself. ;)

I'll start the tour by entering the castle the way you do the first time in game: through the secret hole outside the castle walls. You drop down into a pool of water at the end of  along corridor.
Entering the Castle through the secret entrance.
In the next room is a chest containing a Flint and Steel. A lantern would have been preferred, but it doesn't exist in the game. This, at least, allows you to light "torches", or in my world, Netherrack, like the block you can kind of see to the right of the chest.
Chest containing a Flint and Steel "lantern".
Head up the stairs and you'll emerge in the courtyard. (Side note: head under the stairs and you'll find the minecart track / store room / cavern entrance.)
Entrance into the Courtyard.
The courtyard itself posed a few challenges. I wanted to recreate the bushes the best I could with leaf blocks, but they kept decaying. The solution I found was to put a wood block in the ground with the leaf block touching it. It stopped the natural decaying of the leafs. To light the area, I also put torches under the leaves since the light shines through them. To match the orange "plants" or whatever they are in game, I used jack-o-lanterns.
The right side of the courtyard.
The left side of the courtyard.

Then we have the front entrance to the courtyard from the outside of the castle. In the game, this would transport you to the Dark World whenever you passed through. The closest thing Minecraft has to a Dark World is the Nether, so that's where I put my Nether Portal. It was unfortunate that you can ONLY have a 2x3 portal. If it were more dynamic in size, I would have put it over the actual entrance. I should point out that this portal was moved from next to my house to this spot and it still linked up with the same portal within the Nether.
My Nether Gate in the Castle Wall.
Standing on the bridge outside the castle looking in.
Now we get to enter the actual castle. This is the front door to the main castle with a mini Triforce over the entrance.
The Front Door.
Inside is the main chamber. I'm missing the four "pots" at the base of the steps leading to the throne room, but it would just make it too cramped in there to add them in. I honestly feel it's too cramped as it is and I was thinking about taking out the four lanterns in the middle to open it back up again. But for now, this is my version of the grand hall.
From just inside the front door.
Standing on the balcony looking back down.
Next, lets head on to the side rooms that connect off this main chamber.
First room on the right.
Second room on the right. It's much shorter than in-game.
And don't mind the door in the lower left. I'll talk about
that and where it leads later...

First room on the left.
Second room on the left. Again, much shorter than in-game.








And we'll conclude this part of the photo tour about where the previous entry left off. This is the back room leading down into the dungeon levels.
Down into the dungeon.
Don't worry, I'll get the rest of the photos posted soon. I didn't have them in time for my last post which is why I created one dedicated to just the tour. In my next entry over the throne room and dungeon, I'll continue the photo tour. We're getting to my favorite parts of the castle, the dungeon!

No comments:

Post a Comment