Sunday, September 9, 2012

Minecraft - I Think I Can... I Think I Can...

Double Post Sunday! Okay, so I actually had this post already drafted up, but had to wait to get screenshots of the Throne Room to add to the other post first. Gotta keep everything as close to in order as possible.

Anyways, I had previously experimented a bit with rail tracks and had created a short track from under my old base to my new house basically going from one basement to the other. I had also created a second track that went from under my house around the big shaft from top to bottom. I decided to add a third one to go to the bottom of my Hyrule Castle, but I didn't want it to be the same old thing. I wanted to create something different and better. After spending some time on minecraftwiki.net, I found a tutorial on creating an automated train station. It sounded like fun, so off I went creating it on the second level of the shaft under my house.

The Entrance to my Train Depot. Departures on the right, Arrivals on
the left and the "Maintenance Access" through the door at the end.
There isn't a whole lot to say about this project since I was basically following a tutorial. I tore out the few little rooms I had my existing tracks ending in and began to hollow out a much larger chamber to house the depot. It wound up being quite the chamber in deed, but only a small portion of it is readily visible upon entering.

Destination Switches.
Despite the size of the chamber, the biggest challenge was still space. I didn't quite hollow out enough room to make the depot exactly like the video, so I had to improvise and reroute some of the tracks. I also still don't have a firm grasp on redstone wiring, so a few parts of it are a little hokey. For instance, when you select a destination, you need to flip all the switches so that all the redstone torches are on, then turn off the torch for your destination. A little backwards, but it gets the job done.

The underwater track looking up at my house (left)
and Hyrule Castle (right).
Originally my depot had 3 destinations: Bottom of the World, Old House and Hyrule Castle Basement. I decided to create a fourth track to my world's spawn point / second nether portal meaning I had to further expand my cavern. This path itself was fun because I went up high enough that the track is actually running under water and ice. I purposely made the track slower than usual with less powered rails to give you the time to enjoy the view. This path is also wider than the others (5 wide in fact) just to have a larger glass ceiling.

The "switch track" room.
I have plans to add 2 more destinations to my train depot, one at a floating snow fort I built as a side project and another at my current big project. That means I'll be expanding my cavern once again. It also means I'll need to go mining for gold as my supply is running short.

Despite the fact that it wasn't an original idea at all, I still had a lot of fun creating the depot and I'm quite proud of it to be honest.

Minecart holding room.

Departures.

Next time, I'll get back to my Hyrule Castle project and go through the Castle Tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment