Thursday, July 11, 2013

Ratchet & Clank Collection - 2 Down, 1 To Go


Almost a year ago, I bought and started playing the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection on PS3. I stopped playing it, not because it wasn't "fun", but because I started playing other games in its place, namely Borderlands 2 and, of course, Minecraft. But, within the past few weeks, I picked it back up and continued playing through Going Commando. I finished it last night to 100% and got my Platinum Trophy.

Going Commando was a ton of fun to play through and brought back a lot of good memories from my first few times playing it back on the PS2 many, many years ago. The graphics look amazing in HD, except for the in-game movies which are just up-scaled versions of the originals. They're not bad, but you can tell.

Gameplay wise, it's very fluid with a nice smooth control scheme, much better than the controls of the first game. Everything just feels good to it still, especially on the PS3. There are a few sound issues here and there, but they're easy to overlook. It's mostly noticeable when the music loops or when you're around something that's supposed to be humming. The loop has an obvious stop before continuing and the humming sfx are really quite loud and distracting at points.

The weapons in this game are simply outstanding, especially in their upgraded forms. By the end of the game, I had bought all the upgrades and had most of them maxed out even. Add the mods to that and it was, for the most part, fire a shot and watch the show. Not a fan of the Zodiac though. I only used it a time or two and that was just to use it and remember what it did. Honestly, I didn't even use the RYNO2 that much as the other weapons were so much more fun to play with.

Overall, it was a blast to return to this game after all these years and the new Platinum Trophy under my belt is nice too. With this game complete, I moved on to Up Your Arsenal.

In just the short time I've been playing the third game, I've remembered why I always thought the second game was the best. The third has better controls and looks better, but it just doesn't have the same feel that the second game did. Maybe it's just the fact that I came off of using maxed out weapons to puny ones. Maybe it's because I'm just getting started, I don't know. I will still play it to completion and I'm sure I'll still enjoy it when it's said and done.

One thing I noticed right away with the third game was the glitches from the HD conversion. The sound is way off on the loading screens and makes the game appear as if it froze before the level is shown. It also seems to take longer to load than R&C2. The sound effects buzzing is also worse. Standing in the same room as the lasers in the Laser Defense Center is really loud and annoying.

I'm sure once I get the better weapons and an blowing everything up in glorious fashion, I'll be able to look past this. Just after coming off of Going Commando, these things stuck out at me quite a bit.

That's all I got for now. Until next time!
- Ebi