Monday, November 5, 2012

Minecraft: Kakariko Village Completed

I think I burnt myself out with creating Kakariko Village. It finally came down to forcing myself to return to it in order to finish off the last few details so that I could get it off my plate. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great, but I'm glad it's done. I'm ready to move on to more useable spaces that don't necessarily follow a blueprint or preexisting design. But before I do, I need to post the last few screenshots from Kakariko.

The funny thing is, all I had left to do was the Blacksmith. That's a single building surrounded by trees. That's it. Nothing fancy, just a single little house. I don't know why I put it off so long.


On my last time working on this, I had created the dirt platform and allowed the "grass to grow" (my excuse to stop working on it at the time). So now, when I came back, all I had to do was build. I had thought about making it to scale with the actual house, but opted to do something different and make it a more suitable size to fit the Minecraft world, not the Zelda game. Hence, the house is much bigger here than it should be.

The Blacksmith from ground level.
The inside of the house is unfinished and will probably remain that way unless I decide to use it for something, but I did at least put in the 'furnace' with a flaming netherrack block. It's nice to know that glass panes stop fire just the same as glass blocks do. They look cooler too.

More of an overhead view.
Lots of saplings and bonemeal completed the surrounding trees in record time. It's almost completely enclosed with trees and leaves. One of the nicer things the new update added in was the ability to capture tall grass with shears. I like this new feature as it allowed the shaping of the tall grass in the yard to be done a little more efficiently.

Another area of the village I didn't quite have done for the last Kakariko post was the cave in the upper left of the village. Here again, I ran into a space issue and the 'hole' you fall down in turned into a walled off area outside the bounds of the regular village.

From the main entrance.
Inside the cave, however, it's pretty much to scale with the game. I did have to get a little creative with the secret room. From the outside, it's a box jutting out over the ocean and looks funny. At least it looks good from the inside.

From the 'hole' entrance looking into the secret room.
Finally, I'll leave you with an overhead shot of the completed village. I have the tree walls all the way around the outside and have placed leaf blocks around the trunks to create a true wall. They are also lit with torches to help light it up even more.

The final overhead shot at dawn.


This was a fun project to do, but in the end I'm glad to be done with it. It's time to move on to new explorations and projects. What those are, I'm not sure. I've kinda hit a snag for ideas and am at a loss for what do actually do next. I've got tons of supplies, so I don't need to go resource hunting. My base / storeroom is well lit and secure, so I don't need to worry about monsters. Have I 'won' the game? Have I finally hit the 'burn-out' phase? I don't know. I'm sitting here typing this up and I want to go play the game, but when I get in the game, I get a feeling of "now what". I have been playing with monsters on much more here recently, and it's made it a little more fun which is nice. I'm not going to quit playing. I still love the game. I just need some new ideas.

On to happier subjects, I've been doing a lot of reconstruction and new construction around my store room. I got tired of having my train depot under my old house and the store room under the castle, so I moved the entire train depot next to my store room. The rebuild was much faster than the original build and I was able to do it a lot more efficiently. TNT also helped carve out the underground cavern much faster. (Have I ever mentioned how much I love TNT?)

With a much larger chamber, and better knowledge of redstone wiring, I was able to create a much more compact terminal all while adding the ability to expand it to another 5 destinations in the future. I also made this one loop back to itself if you don't select a destination at all. One thing I did goof on was not making my "pez dispenser" for the carts tall enough. I can now only store 4 minecarts in it. Oh well.

The destination selection switches. Arrivals on the left and
Departures at the end of the hall.


A lot of the wiring and switch tracks.
 I didn't grab a screenshot of it, but I also moved my bedroom. Previously, I just had my bed tucked into a corner, but now I have my own master suite with brick floors and glowstone / diamond block ceiling. There are also paintings on all the walls. I like it.

Another addition to my store room is a new wheat farm. I have a small one under my old house, but wanted something closer to my new base of operations. It's enough to create about 20 loaves of bread on a full crop of wheat. Future plans are to expand this new underground farm to include a pumpkin room, but they first need to release the patch to allow pumpkins to be crafted into seeds. I guess that got left out of the last patch, as well as the ability to craft golden apples. I really like how the tool-tip for apples tell you they can be crafted into a golden apple, yet no recipe exists.

The new Wheat Farm.
It might be a while before I post something else for Minecraft. Once I find my new muse and get going again, I'll post back. Until then, remain calm and mine on.

No comments:

Post a Comment