Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ratchet & Clank Collection so far


Since the game came out this past Tuesday, I've been playing the Ratchet & Clank Collection on the Playstation 3. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I already have these three original games on the Playstation 2, so why would I want them again? Three reasons. First, it's in High Definition. Second, it now has trophies. Third, they're awesome games!


I'm maybe half way through Ratchet & Clank and, after playing the later games and especially the Future trilogy, I can really tell that it was the first. It isn't very refined and I'm missing a lot of the standard features of later games, especially the ability to strafe. But it's fun nonetheless and I'm really enjoying playing it again. I have noticed a little bit of lag issues every once in a while and the occasional music hiccup when the soundtrack loops, but nothing that ruins playability. It's just a shame that the video cutscenes weren't updated to HD with the rest of the game. You can tell they're a little fuzzy when they're playing as well as still being in the 4:3 aspect ratio. You especially notice it with the Gadgetron Vendor.

Since it's been many years since I played this game on the PS2, it's almost like playing it again for the first time. I had forgotten many of the plot points of the game, including the struggles between Ratchet and Clank as they are forming their relationship and the role Quark plays in the big picture. Even my wife commented that you can tell it's the first game in the series. It's a real refresher to the back story of the duo, but I can't wait to move on to Going Commando. That was my favorite of the original games.

Well, I'm going to keep playing the game and report back my thoughts as I continue to do so. Who knows, I may even consider getting back into the habit of writing reviews after I play the game. I used to write them all the time several years back and post them to GameSpot, but have gotten out of the habit of doing so since then. Oh well.

Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment